Thursday 1 September 2016

1st, September; Insomnia58! The UK`s largest Gaming Event!

I look a lot more like my dad than I do my mum,
we`ve always been very, very close so I seriously enjoyed
our day out at Insomnia.
Last weekend, the UK held one of it`s largest gaming events at the NEC in Birmingham. Luckily, my dad treated me as I successfully got into University!
it was £25 per person for a day ticket and we headed up there on the first day since we figured that it wouldn`t be too busy... we where very, very wrong; people had been queueing up seriously early in the morning so the place was already selling out of Witcher packages and special Xbox buys (can`t remember all of them).

I put this picture on Insta,
and both cosplayers found it...
Awakward.
I`ve heard of Insomnia before, and I`d never actually been over to Birmingham. I had an absolutely incredible day out there and everyone I met was amazing and super friendly... JUST EVERYONE THERE WAS AMAZING.
It`s incredibly hard to describe the feeling you get at one of these events, when you`re completely surrounded by people who love the exact same things as you and people who welcome you with open arms since you`re both completely weebs.

To begin with, me and my dad haven`t really spent a lot of time together recently; I`ve been working full time before University and he`s been busy with his job. Then I`ve been trying to fit in as much time as I can to prepare myself for University and he`s tried to stay out of all of that to give me some time to calm down and take it easy.
My dad was the one who really got me into my video games, he had the old Atari games and Sega Mega Drives; so whenever I went over to my dads house when I was younger, it was either go out on the motorbike or play video games with dad before I go back home. I`ll put it this way, my mum would not go anywhere near an Insomnia event!


We left pretty early, and we also had to go and pick up my Uncle and Cousin before we left off. We actually didn`t have time to have anything to eat so we had to stop off and get a huge trucker breakfast and a coffee. We didn`t get there too late, but when we did get there all if the main car parks where filled up already, the Witcher packs had sold out and, luckily, the queues to get into the main halls had gone down. To say it was the first day it was so packed in there, it just goes to show how big the gaming industry is starting to get.

if you don`t know much about Insomnia, then I`ll stop repeating myself and explain a little bit about it.
It`s held once every year for 4 days at the NEC in Birmingham, they use up the huge halls and invite some of the biggest gaming companies in the world to come and show off their new and exclusive products. For instance; Xbox, PS4, Razor, Sony, RobotWars (or a rip off, I don`t know), they invite loads of youtubers too, Twitch was there this year, World of Warcraft, Game and soooo many more. Along with all of the gaming companies being there, people rent out little stores and sell gaming products, toys and shirts.
Then along with the 4 days of weebing out with your fellow group of nerds, you can camp at the NEC so you really are spending the whole weekend there; also, you can bring along your own game console, so you PC gamers can have an absolute field day playing inside of a hall full of hundreds of people playing the same game as you.
I would love to stay there over the weekend, and next years tickets are on sale now...  So I might book mine and camp for the weekend, but the only problem is that I don`t know who will camp with me.


I was definitely really impressed with the Retro area, it was bigger than I expected as the newest games and VR`s had taken over the majority of the hall.
I didn`t get to play many of the retro games, mainly because every game had someone on it, playing it, and there was people behind them waiting to play the game aswell. I also loved the XBOX area, and I don`t mean the 18+ area that everyone was queuing up to go into, I`m on about the area that was just full of video games that you could play; and if you completed a certain amount of video games then you got a free ice cream, the had an XBOX ice cream van that was bright green. So for every video game you played, someone gave you a sticker for this small sheet and then you took it to the van and got ice cream, yes... I am extremely impressed with the free ice cream.
To get mine, I played; The new Forza, Slime Rancher, Minecraft and Recore. In all fairness, I think I played a few other ones but I`ve forgotten what I actually played; whatever I played, t was extremely fun and I enjoyed that whole section of games... And I enjoyed my free ice cream.

Along with all of the gaming sections, some of the halls had giant shows going on, one of them you needed a special band to get into, I think you got them if you camped over the weekend and that show was about gaming development and designing... I think.
The main stage had the youtubers on in the morning, and in the afternoon we saw the small cosplay show; all of the cosplayers where people who had come to Insomnia in their cosplays, so it wasn`t all professionals dancing around on the stage showing how amazing they are. It was really good to see Amateurs and professionals alike on the stage.

Another show that I saw was D&D, you guessed it, Live Dungeons and Dragons; with Miniladd, and I used to love Miniladd so I was sooo sooo happy that he was there. We didn`t stay watching that stage for too long, since the Live Twitch stream of the finale of Rainbow Siege was about to start. Then we left halfway through that stream to go and watch all of the cosplayers.
So as you could probably tell, there was a lot going on just on that one day, and it was hard to get around everything, we got to see quite a bit and it was just such a good day.

Along with all of this, the youtubers had a meet and greet section where you could also buy their merchandise and have a picture taken with them; I was going to get in line whilst my dad and Uncle went off, but I asked someone how long they had been sat there for and they said almost 2 hours, then when we walked off and looked around a bit more, came back an hour later, the same people where now sat on the floor looking extremely tired and quite bored... I`m sooooo bummed out that I didn`t get to meet Vanoss Gaming, I used to watch him all of the time aswell and he used to play quite a bit with miniladd.
HOWEVER!
I almost got to meet Syndicate, the exhibition hall was closing and they needed to meet up before the people with evening tickets began to arrive; so they shooed everyone away.... But before they did, I managed to get a creepy picture of him when I was standing in line... see creepy fan girl got a quick picture of Syndicate, he he heee.

Another big thing I became a fan off quite quickly, was the small cosplay area where you got to met some professional cosplayers and see some of their work. They also had a small 3D printer that was making tiny little props and characters for one of the guys on one of those stalls.
One of my favourite cosplayers there was a pokemon trainer, who I then found on facebook; her page is called HELEN ALICE COSPLAY, once again that`s Helen Alice Cosplay. She was super, super friendly and let me take a quick picture of her.

There is no way in hell that I could describe how amazing everyone was; the whole atmosphere, the people, the crew members, the volunteers, the youtubers where really friendly and even some of the younger kids who where asking me about my Harry Potter shirt... Start them off from a young age!

If you have any events going on near you that are like Insomnia, and you don`t know if it`s worth the money; grab a friend and buy some tickets, even if it`s only a tiny event... Because, and I can assure you, you`ll meet some amazing people and you`ll have an amazing day out.
You`ll also probably buy some adorable goodies, I was just moments away from buying a fat little Totoro plushie.

There`s no way Ic an out the feelings I had, and the atmosphere of the place into words.
Just amazing really.


Live Diary Blog:   http://melonheadamy-livediaryblogging.blogspot.co.uk/
Art Blog:   http://melonheadamy-artblogging.blogspot.co.uk/
Anime Reviews:   http://melonheadamy-animereviews.blogspot.co.uk/
Facebook:   https://www.facebook.com/melonheadamyWattpad:   https://www.wattpad.com/user/AmyWatkinson
Redbbble:   http://www.redbubble.com/people/amywatkinson
Deviantart:    https://amywatkinson.deviantart.com/
Instagram:   amy_marshy_melons





No comments:

Post a Comment